Thursday, December 27, 2012

Let It Snow

~McCall's 7157 (1947) - found at the thrift store for $.39~

***********************************************************

Season's Greetings! 

I cannot believe it has been a month since I last posted! I have to tell you that the holidays have kept me more than busy with all the decorating, shopping, baking, luncheons, and parties. I had a wonderful Christmas and I do hope that your holiday was wonderful too!


~Tea saucers make for wonderful fabric weights!~
I have been working on a wee-bit of sewing. Since The Great Gatsby movie premiere has been moved to May 2013, I have temporarily put my 1920s dress project to the side (there is plenty of time to work on it) to construct a suit from a 1947 McCall's sewing pattern I found at the thrift store. Currently, I have the skirt to the suit completed and the jacket and jacket lining cut out. The suit is being made from a knitted lavender cotton and lined in a matte lavender satin - I hope to also construct from the same material a darling little chapeau to match.

Here are a few construction photos of the skirt. Hopefully you will be able to see the texture of the knit (metallic silver threads are weaved throughout). Please forgive the poor quality of some of the photos - I had to use my cell phone to take pictures until my camera was returned to me (I accidentally left my camera at my brother's and he lives 80 miles away - lol).


~Skirt together - shell and lining need basted~

~Waistband on and pinned for stitching~

~Skirt lining being stitched to the hidden zipper~

~Skirt hem being stitched to the skirt lining~

On another front (a weather front, to be exact), we had a fun little winter storm blow into Ohio Christmas night. The local stations had us all ready for a blizzard and nearly a foot and a half of snow. We certainly had the blizzard winds, but the snow accumulation (at least in Dayton) was only around 7 inches. As much as we Ohioans complain about the snow and cold, winter doesn't feel quite right without it (we secretly love it)! Besides, if we all migrated south for the winter, we'd miss magical scenery like this, Mr. Cardinal camping out in my pear tree after the storm:

~He sure is one fat daddy!~

Happy Holidays! Be safe, stay warm, and blessings and happy sewing!

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see the finished product. I love the picture with the Cardinal. One of my fav birds. Best wishes in the new year and thank you for your support this year. Look forward to sharing in 2013 and beyond. Cheers. ag

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year and blessings to you, Angela! I am equally thankful for your support. I cannot wait to see your finished en fourreau - :)

      Delete