Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Stitching Up Bibs, Vintage Aussie Style

Recently, I was given the privilege to construct and review the "Beryl" land overalls pattern from The Tailor's Apprentice. I'd never constructed a pair of bibs, so this sewing adventure was new territory for me and a lot of fun! Rather than use myself as the model, I asked Maria (my youngest). I allowed her to choose her material (anticipating her choice because her style is so unique), and don't you know she chose good old dark blue denim (yes, I expected something a little over the top from her, and yet she surprised me more by sticking to an American fabric classic)!


The "Beryl" pattern is in digital format. I know that many dressmakers prefer paper patterns, but there are real benefits to digital: 1) They are space saving and can be stored by the hundreds on a simple flash drive (Is anyone else having difficulty finding pattern storage boxes in their local fabric haunts? I can't find any, except online at Amazon.); 2) they save paper (unused sheets of paper from your printer can be reused rather than thrown away, unlike traditional paper patterns); 3) they are less expensive than traditional paper patterns and can be reprinted inexpensively in case of loss or damage; and 4) pattern designers and their customers are not limited to domestic sales due to postage and duty fees - it's simply a matter of paying for the pattern and downloading it no matter where you are in the world. It's for these reasons that digital patterns are quickly gaining popularity - I am certainly a proponent! 

When I first downloaded the "Beryl" PDF, I was delighted to find that each of the pattern pages were conveniently numbered and lettered by row. The pages fit together very well, all the pattern lines matched up exactly and the pattern pieces were well labeled for construction. The instructions were clear and included illustrations for each step of the construction process. I experienced no construction issues - aside from the basic adjustments made in the first fitting (seat, inseam, and waist belt lengths, etc.), the overalls came together seamlessly. For the waist belt, rather than go with the traditional dog chain hook (as illustrated in the pattern), I opted to use an overall buckle - a little modern twist to a vintage look. 

Have a look!

Construction: 







Finished Overalls









Blessings and happy sewing!  

No comments:

Post a Comment