Thursday, October 31, 2013

'Tis the Season for Festivals

Autumn in Ohio is festival season. There is an event going on in every corner of the state, on every day of the week - rain, snow, or shine. We have everything from the Elyria Apple Festival just south of Lorraine, to the GiantFest in Seville, to Jungle Jim's Wine Festival in Fairfield, to the dozens of German and Slavic cultural events going on all over the state - there's just so much! 

~Sauerkraut Festival, Waynesville, Ohio~
The weekend of October 12-13, the hubs and I visited the Sauerkraut Festival in Waynesville, Ohio for the first time. For years we have wanted to go, but we were merchants at the Ohio Renaissance Festival (OREN), which happens to run from late August to late October. Needless to say, our commitment to OREN meant that we missed a lot of festivals and fairs that ran at the same time. 

The Sauerkraut Fest was packed the gills, you could barely walk, let alone maneuver past bodies to get into any merchant's tent! I was disappointed, though. The hubs, kids, and I have been to many food festivals over the years, and without exception, the main event has been the food. Except for this festival, where the merchants were the main attraction. I wanted sauerkraut balls, sauerkraut ice cream, sauerkraut soup, sauerkraut bread, sauerkraut chocolate, sauerkraut and ribs, and sauerkraut and potatoes, but I was hard pressed to find anything of the sort. There were a spattering of food merchants that sold something sauerkraut related, but not many; most sold traditional festival food and only that. I was a sad girl, my Austrian roots were deprived. Thankfully, Warren county is not a dry county (like Clinton county next door) and Waynesville is not a dry village; the hubs and I slipped behind the merchant tents to a pizza joint and enjoyed a beer. 

Here is the best part of the festival:




Dressmakers, meet The Fabric Shack. I just wandered onto a side street at the Sauerkraut Festival (that really wasn't) and there she was in all her warehouse glory (OMGosh!). The hubs could only stand in amazement and shake his head. "How do you do this? We're at an obscure festival in the middle of BFE!" Because I'm magic, darling, and the fabric faeries adore me...

The following weekend was our yearly trek to the Circleville Pumpkin Show, the largest pumpkin show in the United States, where they serve-up everything pumpkin. My goodness, was it cold and pouring rain, but we die-hards are not deterred by a little pneumonia weather! We had a good time as always, and there's enough pictures of me stuffing my face to prove it!

~Pumpkin funnel cake!~
~This year's winners!~
~The famous pumpkin tree~
~Me and the girls~
And as always, my annual special purchase at the Pumpkin Show - my two new glass babies from Jack Pine Studio



Wishing you and yours a fun and festive autumn season! Blessings and happy sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment