Saturday, August 7, 2010

A Dress For Rose

Rose's Gown (front)
That's one flower girl dress done (check!), and one more to go!

My brother and his fiancée are getting married over Labor Day weekend, and boy, can we all feel the crunch - it's just around the corner! Not only have I been given flower girl dress and bridal gown alteration duties, their reception is a potluck, and I am making my famous mushroom and spinach lasagna. It's a lot of work, but I am flattered to be put to use!

I suppose I should look at the happy couple's registry soon and purchase a gift?

Rose's gown is mainly constructed of white matte bridal satin, and rather than use the standard polyester lining with some interfacing around the neck and arms, I lined the whole bodice in the same matte bridal satin - it eliminates any sheerness in the torso and it adds weight to the bodice to better support the weight of the skirt.

I created the skirt from two 60" wide panels of the matte white satin and white shimmer organza - the effect is truly beautiful and unfortunately the digital camera and the quality of the light in my living room does not do justice to the aesthetics of the gown! Notice I have left the length of the skirt slightly long and this is for good reason - as I said before, beautiful Rose is experiencing a growth spurt, so I have left an extra 1-1/2 at the hem of the skirt - if need be, I'll take it up at the last minute. Better safe... 

And, as you have guessed, the wedding colors are burgundy and white! Because burgundy is such a rich color, I had to keep the decoration on her gown at a minimum - her hair will be professionally styled with burgundy ribbons and fresh deep red roses, and she will also be carrying a basket of burgundy flower petals with burgundy and white decoration. Here, it is a matter of too much of a good thing - no sense in gilding the lily - or in this case, the Rose... 

(For construction photos of Rose's flower girl gown, please check out the Dressmaker's Album)

No comments:

Post a Comment