Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Red Patten Stilettos & Hair Jacked to Jesus...

Ahhh, I believe the shoe angels have smiled on me again...

While out Friday afternoon picking up some last minute items for the Federal Ball on Saturday, I got a hunch to stop by DSW and check out their incoming spring collection. Lo and Behold! Before my peepers were the perfect pair of red pumps - patten stilettos - like candy, winking at me seductively, and beckoning me to slip them on...

...and so I did. But I could not purchase them - not then, anyway (sniff, sniff). I detest waiting. What waiting means for me - a size 10 Yeti-footed woman - is that when I return in two weeks with the intention to whisk away my scrumptious scarlet stilettos, my size will be gone (because no shoe store ever thinks to carry more than ONE pair of any size 10 shoe - duh?). The problem seems to be that all the other size 10 shoe wearers in the United States and Ohio like the same shoes I do! Drats - stop copying me - lol! And worse, these hot red honeys at DSW are only $70 - moderately priced - which means my chances of commandeering a pair by next payday have been cut drastically (sniff, sniff). Oh sure, I could order them on-line, but then I'd have to pay for shipping and state sales tax - what's the sense in that? Besides, I don't even get to wear them out of the store! But, you see, I have hope - my heart says these ruby sweethearts will soon be mine...(sigh)

While the shoe angels where shining on me Friday (or teasing me - this is yet to be determined), the hair gods were blessing my bouffant for a few good hours Saturday! I was worried - my whole costume ensemble was perfect for Federal Ball that evening, except for my hair. I am not a hair savvy person. I don't style. I figured I could at least manage a wiry, teased-to-the-heavens, Mozart-mess and secure it all into place with a ton of mouse and Tonia's Rave #4 hairspray. Mission accomplished! Granted, I did not have quite the hair height of either Tonia or PJ, but my frizzy locks were wide, and I'm sure that in the Georgian/Federal era this counted for something - lol! Washing it all out the morning after is another blog post all together...

My hair wasn't the only thing that worked out well - Saturday's ball turned out wonderful! It was a small affair, but for our first organized event, it went without a hitch, and everyone had a splendid evening. The food and beverage spread was divine, and honestly, I ate so much I nearly split my ribs! The cheeses and meats and veggies and fruits and wines and Oh! Pure gluttony! I am so glad that Tonia and I decided to bypass having the event catered. Instead, we created the buffet ourselves and were able to offer more dishes, a greater wine selection, and some wonderful gourmet cheeses we couldn't otherwise have offered our guests if catered. Next year's ball will be Civil War themed. Oooo, I see a red silk petticoat in my future - I imagine this is the mid-nineteenth century equivalent to today's red patten stilettos - oui?  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment