Sunday, May 8, 2011

Shotgun Susie Sunshine

It's been a tough week at school. I was told Friday that I would not be asked back for the 2011-2012 school year due to school budget constraints. I felt worse for the principal, who had to give me the news (considering I had accepted his request to stay for another year not two weeks ago), than for myself - he was not happy about the decision to let me go (to say the least), and expressed his appreciation for my dedication and service to the school. The worst part of this news is the impact my leaving may have on the kids, especially academically - it is no secret that the old English curriculum needed amped up, and over the last year (with the school supervisor's guidance and suggestions), I was able to change much of the program, getting my students excited about English. The kids not only met my educational challenges, they did so with a winning spirit and a winning attitude! Their academic success and enthusiasm toward the changes in the English program this year encouraged the school's move toward greater educational possibilities -  in response, the high school supervisor and I had put together a new and comprehensive college preparatory English curriculum which was to be introduced at the start of the 2011-2012 school year. With my leaving, I am afraid that the new program may not be implemented at all, and if it is, it will be taught with little enthusiasm or approval by the person who I know to be taking over my position (God bless my supervisor - she has many challenges ahead of her). Despite these developments, I still have students to teach and exams to get them ready for, and many people to thank for enriching my experience at the school - teaching there has certainly been a blessing in my life. 

In the meantime, I have to get on the ball! I realized that the loss of my teaching position is a perfect opportunity for me to actually open my Etsy shop and begin marketing my line of fine outerwear (which I have put off for almost two years). When I closed my shop at the Renaissance festival in 2008 (after ten very successful seasons), I put my business aspirations to the side for a while - I needed the break. But I have come to miss being a successful business owner; more so, I miss designing an exceptional product that brings joy to my customers. Since I am no longer confined by the product guidelines and mandates of the festival's jury as to what I can and cannot design and sell, I can now create what I damn well please, and this fills me with great excitement and anticipation (maybe a little fear thrown in there, but this is a good thing). I certainly don't lack ambition or motivation, which means I plan to have my fall collection of coats and jackets introduced on Etsy by August. It's a tall order, but I am up for the challenge. And you get to witness it all (Oh, noes! That means I'd better be on my game!) - lol! 

Happy sewing! 



No comments:

Post a Comment