Thursday, May 10, 2012

A Daisy of a Dress

Maria's 1950s summer dress for the Ladies' Tipsy Tea next week is finished and she looks darling! For her dress, I used a vintage Butterick pattern from 1957, which belonged to my grandmother. I struggled with the portrait neckline on this gown. Maybe it wouldn't have been so difficult if I would have gathered the neckline rather than pleated it - whatever the case, and despite the fact the neck is cut on the bias to give it greater ease, it would not hug the shoulders the way that I wanted, even a loose draping effect around the shoulders looked off. What I ended up doing was gathering up the pleats at the shoulders and the center back (similar to ruching) in order to get the proper fit - I think it came out well considering. As you can see in the original pattern, this gathering is not part of the neckline, but sometimes you have to do what the fabric will allow you to do. Also, the skirt is a full circle and fits perfectly to the bodice with no pleating or gathering - it is not nearly as full as the pattern's sleeve illustration would indicate. Okay, enough of my yammering! Here's Maria in her 1950s finery:

Now, it's time for me to get cranking on my dress for the tea - blessings and happy sewing!


  1. Her dress came out so cute! You did an awesome job, as always, sister dear. I can't wait till the tea next week. We are going to have so much fun!

  2. It's lovely! The blue at the top and sash really set it off. :) We're going to have so much fun! ~Elma~

  3. Ladies, thank you!

    I am very much looking forward to the Tipsy Tea! And an ice cold Cosmo, of course!

  4. I'm in the process of making this dress! Thanks for your advice. I might gather the back like you did. I find the sleeves a little restrictive so need another toile to work it out. Wish me luck

    1. You'll get it! Working past the kinks in a pattern is part of the passion of sewing! Do share a picture when you are finished, I'd love to see it - :)