Thursday, August 1, 2013

A Little Surprise While Thrifting

Please pardon the quality of the photos featured in this post. The only camera I had on me was the one on my flip-phone (Yes, I still have a flip-phone! Lol!). I'm not sure if the store personnel was too pleased that I was snapping pictures of their product like a Mad Mayme, but they said nothing (rather watched me in curiosity). 

Anyway, while Maria and I were out thrifting yesterday (eight stores in six hours - SHAZAM!), at Saint Francis they had displayed across from the register counter this lovely antique Edwardian dress (circa 1910-1915), priced for $49.99! The original wearer was a tiny thing, no more than 5'0", a size 0 (maybe 00) by today's retail fashion standards. The material of the dress felt like a fine wool, maybe a wool blend; the vestie, maybe a silk or silk blend; the crocheted yoke, a fine cotton. The dress front opened from the left side (as typical with dresses from this era) and closed with a dozen or more eyes and hooks down most the length of the skirt. Construction was accomplished by a combination of machine and hand stitching.













I am so glad to share this, and I hope that it might be an inspiration to you as it is to me. Never underestimate what you can find at a thrift store! Blessings and happy sewing!

2 comments:

  1. WOW!! Who would just donate such a treasure?! Did you buy this lovely ensemble?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not buy it, and not for lack of wanting it. But I feel the dress should not be in my possession (as a thing I own, for study and keeping, even if I take care to preserve it). I have a couple of contacts at two museums and I have decided to forward my photos, hoping one or the other would be interested in receiving the dress as a gift to add to their extant collections.

    ReplyDelete