Wednesday, October 30, 2013

CELIA Regency Ball in Honor of Jane Austen



*********************************************
Saturday, October 12, Marie and I had the pleasure of attending the CELIA bicentennial celebration of Jane Austen's most beloved novel, Pride & Prejudice. The festivities began on Thursday, October 10, with a symposium and workshops on Austen's literature; it extended into Friday, with several theatrical performances and an English tea party, finally culminating to the Regency ball on Saturday evening.

The ball was a delightful affair! The buffet tables were decked with edible delights, including lamb, ham, roast beef, meat pies, salmon, autumn vegetables, cheeses, breads, and every sort of dessert and confection one can imagine from the era, including shot glasses of strawberries and cream. A string orchestra and choreographer attended a continual procession of willing participants in an array of country dances and cotillions the whole evening through, as white-gloved attendants served wine, hot cider, and coffee. Let's not forget the private room set up with half a dozen Whist tables!


Marie and I had the pleasure of meeting (and partnering a cotillion with) authors Sharon Short (My One Square Inch of Alaska) and Carrie Bebris (Mr. & Mrs. Darcy Mysteries). I'm afraid that all three ladies put me to shame on the dance floor - I didn't know a left turn from a right, and was relieved I hadn't injured anyone. I am very grateful that my dancing partners were abundant in the gracefulness which I so obviously lacked - lol! It was an excellent evening!




~Maria, one of the photographers at the event~
~Sneaking a picture of the orchestra~
~Baked Brie with garlic, nuts, and cranberries~
~Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth Bennet having a row~

Blessings and happy sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment