Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Black Edwardian Slip with Ruffled Bust

***********************************

I'm liking these combination garments more and more. Kudos to late-19th and early-20th century dress reformers - kiss, kiss! Edwardian slips are lighter, easier to wear, and cut down on waist bulk. The Rational Dress Society would certainly approve! 

My idea was to create a combination petticoat and ruffled corset cover to enhance the effects of the pouter pigeon blouse I recently made from black cut-work velvet. My inspiration came from a black silk Edwardian princess-cut slip I remembered a gazillion pictures ago at some museum's online collection (I could not find it - dang you, Google!). The original slip was a later Edwardian style with a fitted bodice embellished with a softer lace and ribbon treatment, similar to Lauren's. However, I wanted (more likely needed) a little more puff and fluff:








The slip is constructed from black taffeta and closes in front with 11 black metal snaps and one eye and hook at the waist.

Blessings and happy sewing!

2 comments: